What is Berberine For? | Is Berberine Good For Weight Loss?
Several Things Berberine Is Good For–Is Berberine Good for Weight Loss?
Let’s begin with what berberine (or berberine hydrochloride) is, and we’ll move into what berberine is good for and what berberine does for health and why you should strongly consider supplementing with it, if you aren’t already. Yes, berberine is good for weight loss. But is berberine a natural alternative to insulin that reduces blood sugar in the body?
“Alternative” may be the wrong word here, but for type II diabetics and anyone struggling to lose weight, berberine is amazing at reducing blood sugar in the body, inducing the secretion of insulin in the body and reducing insulin resistance.
Berberine is also proving to have many other huge health benefits.
What Is Berberine?
This plant compound has been around way, way longer than you and I. In fact, it has been a health aid since the beginning of recorded time. The oldest proof of this was recorded on clay tablets in 650 B.C. In Asia it has been used for more than 3000 years to treat inflammation and bacterial infections.
Berberine hydrochloride is a bioactive compound in the alkaloid family and is extracted from several different plants such as barberry, Oregon grape, goldenseal, and tree turmeric. The diverse health benefits of berberine reveal it to be clearly as effective as any pharmaceutical drug.
After it is ingested it goes into the body and is transported into the bloodstream, where it travels into the cells. Here it binds to molecular targets and changes their function, similar to how pharmaceuticals work. However its most important function is to activate an enzyme inside cells, called a metabolic master switch. These cells are found in the brain, muscle, kidney, heart, and liver. The enzyme regulates metabolism.
What Berberine Does for Health – Is Berberine Good for Weight Loss?
Is berberine a natural alternative to insulin that reduces blood sugar in the body?
Berberine does not replace insulin, but induces secretion of insulin in the body, reducing insulin resistance.
The list of berberine’s health benefits is mind-boggling, but I will try to list most of them here. Here are 10 health benefits of berberine for you:
1. Berberine causes a huge reduction in blood sugar levels, the most significant benefit being in those with type 2 diabetes. For those afflicted with this malady it decreases insulin resistance, helps the body to break down sugars inside cells, decreases sugar production in the liver, slows the breakdown of carbohydrates in the gut, and increases the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut. It lowers hemoglobin and improves blood lipids like cholesterol and triglycerides. It is as effective as oral diabetes drugs and has additive effects when used with other drugs that lower blood sugar. This is a bonus for those suffering from liver, kidney, or heart disease, preventing them from taking regular diabetes medications.
2. For those of you who have never heard of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), it is a common hormonal disorder that affects many reproductive-aged women around the world. The exact cause is unknown but it is related to a variety of genetic and environmental factors. Symptoms include excess insulin, increased levels of male hormones, chronic low grade inflammation, irregular periods, infertility, and the development of small ovarian cysts. Unfortunately there appears to be no mainstream cure for this disorder, but berberine is producing good results with its use.
3. People have used berberine for diarrhea, canker sores, and burns. How’s that for diversity?
4. Is berberine good for weight loss? Yes. Weight loss is often obtained with the help of a berberine supplement. In a research study, taking 500 mg three times daily caused an average of five pounds of weight loss, including loss of belly fat. It appears to inhibit the growth of fat cells at the molecular level.
5. Berberine is showing promise in the treatment of Alzheimer’s, depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders.
6. Use of this supplement aids in anti-aging, and is a factor in cardiovascular health.
7. Research has shown that it can reduce the growth and spread of various types of cancer.
9. Berberine reduces fat buildup in your liver, protecting against fatty liver disease.
10. Studies have shown that it drastically improved symptoms and reduced risk of death in heart failure patients. It increases nitric oxide production which helps widen arteries.
Berberine Recommended Dosage
Most studies suggest a berberine recommended dosage from 900- mg per day. Take 500 mg, 3 times per day, before meals. It has a half life of several hours, thus the necessity of spreading the doses throughout the day in order to achieve stable blood levels.
Caution: If you have a medical condition or are on medications such as blood sugar lowering drugs, consult a professional prior to taking berberine. It can interact with many medications such as antibiotics, immunosuppressants, and blood thinners. However it is generally considered safe and side effects are very rare.
Berberine is available in both powder and capsule form and is available in health food stores and online.
If you are unsure where to buy berberine online, we are recommending that if you do shop online (and in many cases with supplements, including this one, this is the way to go), you look at Berberine Complete by PureFormulas, which is entirely free of common allergens such as gluten‚ yeast‚ wheat‚ dairy‚ and corn. In addition‚ it doesn’t contain any artificial flavors‚ colors‚ or preservatives.
PureFormulas berberine supplements provide high-potency berberine derived from Berberis aristata root (also known as tree turmeric).
Even better‚ it also contains grape seed extract and alpha-lipoic acid (ALA)‚ which further promote heart health. Grape seed extract can benefit you by serving as an antioxidant due to its containing polyphenols‚ a type of bioflavonoids that support the capillaries and regulate inflammation.
Even Doctors Are Jumping on the Berberine Wagon
Dr. Steven Gundry, in this article says, “(Berberine) could be exactly what you need to super-charge your health.”
Here is a video by our friend Dr. Eric Berg, wherein he lists and extols the virtues of berberine, clearly showing why berberine is a perfect alternative to some other insulin therapies for reducing blood sugar and combating insulin resistance. And there are many excellent testimonials in the comments.
If you had been wondering what berberine is, if berberine is a natural alternative to insulin therapies to reduce blood sugar, or just what all berberine does for health or existing or potential health issues, you now know! We have shown you that berberine is a herbal supplement that is safe and well tolerated by people with type 2 diabetes and high blood sugar or insulin resistance.
As well, we have provided a list of what berberine is for in terms of other health benefits, and as you can see, berberine offers a plethora of amazing benefits for gut health, mental health, and overall health.
And, as we often do, we have researched products and come up with what we think are the best berberine supplements online and provided a link for you (which we often receive a small commission if you purchase through).
As can be clearly seen, this supplement has a multitude of beneficial uses, is safe to use in tandem with other medications (in most cases), and causes little or no side effects.
As well, berberine is relatively inexpensive and readily available.