Does Boron Rich Food Help with Weight Loss?
Does boron help you lose weight? Is it an essential nutrient for humans? What are the symptoms of boron deficiency in humans? Does boron increase dht or testosterone? What are the healthiest foods containing boron?
What Is Boron? Is Boron an Essential Nutrient?
Boron is a trace mineral with many health benefits if consumed regularly. With a diet that includes boron, bone and joint conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis can be managed without any medication. As well as aiding in bone and joint health, boron helps the immune system. It is being discovered that even prostate and breast health may be improved, as well as the absorption of calcium, magnesium and other minerals.
Boron benefits brain function, as well. Being an essential mineral, boron improves cognitive functions like memory, focus, and hand-eye coordination.
But there are so many other important things that boron does for us, such as:
- Helps protect against fungal infections like candida, and many other types of infection
- Protects against stroke, heart attack and atherosclerosis by lowering lipid (fat molecules) levels
- Helps maintain cellular and organ membrane functions and stabilizing hormone receptors responsible for many bodily processes and functions
- Reduces the inflammation that causes conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis. Boron is known to successfully improve more than 95% of arthritis cases significantly, by increasing the integration of calcium into the bones and cartilage
- Daily supplementation with boron can reduce menstrual pain
- Assists the enzymes responsible for wound healing
- Works with calcium to strengthen bones
- Helps us absorb copper, and greatly improves magnesium absorption(!)
- Has been shown to inhibit the growth of lung, cervical and prostate cancers
- Has a beneficial impact on how your body uses vitamin D and prevents vitamin D deficiency
- Protects against pesticide-induced oxidative stress and heavy-metal toxicity
Does Boron Increase Testosterone?
While there are few supplements that actually are proven to do squat for raising testosterone levels, there are a small handful of exceptions, and boron is one of them. In fact, boron can significantly increase testosterone if the right dosage is taken. There is a “sweet spot”, but it can be hard to guage if you don’t know how much boron you are getting from your diet. You want to make sure you are not taking too much, so if you feel your testosterone is in fact low, start off with a small dose and work up. You will notice when you hit the sweet spot. And don’t exceed 15mg per day. With most people, 3-5mg is enough.
By the way, the likelihood of getting enough boron in your diet is slim, unless you eat totally organic, and even then you are probably not getting enough for optimal health, due to boron and other micronutrients being hugely depleted from most of the soil our food is grown in.
Am I being a downer…?
A study showed that boron supplementation reduced estrogen levels and increased free testosterone levels with subjects taking 10mg of Boron per day over the course of one week (free testosterone is the good kind, which actually gets used, because it is not bound to a protein in the blood known as sex hormone binding globulin, or SHBG. And boron inhibits SHBG).
Although there is little concrete evidence to show that menopausal or post-menopausal women benefit from supplementing with boron, it may reduce their risk of osteoporosis, due to loss of bone mass, post-menopause.
What Are the Symptoms of Boron Deficiency in Humans?
Boron deficiency in plants is commonly known to not be good for the plants. But boron deficiency can be not so good for humans, too. Several functions in the body depend on adequate amounts of boron, and a deficiency can have some negative effects.
First of all, a decline in boron levels will cause a reduction in calcium and magnesium levels, which lead to bone issues and cognitive issues, to name a couple. And most doctors should take boron levels into account when testing men for low testosterone, which can cause risks to the prostate and the “little swimmers”.
Considering all the things that boron does for our health, the negatives of a deficiency of boron should be pretty easy to imagine.
Here are some signs that could be indicative of a boron deficiency:
- Impaired brain function, including mental alertness, ability to focus, and short-term memory loss
- Reduced bone mineral density, due to increased loss of calcium and magnesium through urination
- A significant reduction in estrogen levels in post-menopausal women.
- Poor fertility and libido in men, due to low testosterone levels
- Poor health due to a reduction in vitamin D levels
- Development of certain cancers
- An enlarged prostate, which could lead to benign prostatic hyperplasia
Does Boron Help You Lose Weight?
Boron does play crucial roles in metabolism, including regulating the metabolism of carbohydrates, and burning body fat for energy. Here are a couple of testimonies.
Of course, the best way to lose weight is to stop eating things containing a ton of sugar, and regular exercise… But you already knew that.
What Foods Contain Significant Amounts of Boron?
- Leafy greens
- Non-citrus fruits
- Dried apricots
- Brazil nuts
Really Good (and Inexpensive) Boron Supplement
This is the boron supplement I take (many of the supplements I have found to work very well are NOW Foods brand), which you can get at iHerb.
NOW Foods, Boron, 3 mg, 250 Veg Capsules ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐1633 Reviews
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Boron to Boost Testosterone
“I’ve been using Boron since 2018 to boost testosterone as part of my fitness & weight training stack – one 3 mg pill in the morning and one in the late evening. There is one great scientific paper, titled ‘Nothing Boring About Boron’ from 2015 that details the many benefits of boron as a supplement. The NOW Foods Boron 3 mg, 250 pcs package is the best value for money (from a brand I trust) I’ve come across.”
“These quality capsules are so good and effective, I have some minor problem with bones, but after taking this product for months, it really improved my bones health, I was astonished.”
Boron is an essential nutrient, and a deficiency can cause serious issues. Most people are likely lacking boron, due to soil depletion, so supplementing is recommended.
Boron rich foods will help with weight loss, provided you are eating well and remaining physically active.
Boron will increase testosterone in men, and balance hormones in men and women, as well as strengthening bones, improving brain function, and much more.