Epsom Salts Health Benefits | 11 Household Uses For Epsom Salt
Epsom Salts Health Benefits Are Vast, and There Are Many Household Uses For Epsom Salt
Today we are going over some Epsom salts health benefits and handy household uses for Epsom salt, most of which happen to be beneficial to our health.
This well-known gem has become an oft used staple in most homes whether for cosmetic, health, or household purposes. You guessed it, the wonder product is Epsom salts.
What Are Epsom Salts, Exactly?
Even though it is called “salt”, it is not really a salt but a mineral compound made of magnesium and sulfate. It has been used for centuries as a natural remedy. It is no wonder it has become so popular and used for so many things. Over 325 enzymes in the body are regulated by magnesium. It is essential for every life form on the planet. In humans, it is necessary for muscle and nerve function, looking after the immune system, and assuring us of a regular heartbeat, sufficient blood glucose, and strong bones.
Sulfates improve the rate at which nutrients are absorbed, and assist in flushing out toxins. They are also important for adequate muscle
protein, healthy joints, and detoxification within the pancreas.
The Origin of Magnesium Sulfate
For your enjoyment I will relate one of the stories of the origin of magnesium sulfate, which seems to be at least close to the truth. It takes place in Epsom in England and hence the name Epsom Salts. As the story goes, there was a drought in the area in 1618. A local cow herder, one Henry Wicker, took a drink from a pool of water. To his surprise it tasted acidic and bitter. As the water evaporated. Mr. Wicker noticed a white residue. Then, to his chagrin, he realized that the water had a laxative effect. A cure for constipation had just been
discovered and was utilized as such for hundreds of years thereafter.
New uses were discovered as time went on and its popularity has grown. Examples follow.
10 Other Household Uses For Epsom Salt
1. Epsom salt is used to treat wounds and infections, drawing out the infection and softening the skin which helps boost medical effects. For foot or toenail fungal infections soak twice a day for about twenty minutes.
2. One of the most popular uses of Epsom salts is a luxurious hot bath containing about two cups of the salts. This soothes sore muscles, cramps, bruises, and joint pain. It goes without saying that this is also an awesome stress reliever. Many people report that these baths improve the pain of fibromyalgia and arthritis. Some prefer to use plain Epsom salts in their bath while others enjoy lovely lavender, coconut, or mint scented versions. Epsom salt baths have also been used to improve nutrient intake, support the detox system, improve circulation, and promote better sleep. Hey, why not make your Epsom salt bath a full spa treatment while you are at it? Massage handfuls of the dry salts over all parts of your body, then rinse for an exfoliation that will leave your skin soft and refreshed.
3. Mix half a cup of baby oil with half cup of water, and a quarter of a cup of Epsom salts and place it next to your bathroom sink for a lovely hand wash. A few drops of essential oil adds a nice touch. For a great deep hair conditioner combine equal parts of organic hair conditioner and Epsom salts and apply liberally to your hair. Let sit for twenty minutes and rinse.
4. As Mr. Wicker discovered, these soothing salts can also be used as a laxative if taken by mouth. I recommend taking 2-6 teaspoons per day, dissolved in water, for adults. 1-2 teaspoons for children. It goes without saying that taken orally only pure, supplement grade salts should be consumed with no added scents or coloring.
More Household Uses For Epsom Salt…
5. Epsom salts are known to treat insect bites and poison ivy. In order to remove the pain, burning, and itching of mosquito bites, bee stings, and poison ivy mix two tablespoons of salts with one cup of warm water. Soak a clean cloth in the mixture and hold on the affected area.
6. Rather than digging at a splinter with a needle, soak the spot in Epsom salt and water. This will not only draw the splinter out but leave the area clean.
7. Mix equal parts of organic coconut oil and Epsom salts and apply generously to dry, flaky, cracked lips to exfoliate and moisturize them.
8. Some household uses have also become very popular. Bathroom and kitchen tile and grout can be cleaned easily with equal parts liquid dish soap and Epsom salts. Scrub with a sponge and rinse.
9. To deter those annoying and pesky summer insects mix one quarter cup Epsom salts with two cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray around your home and garden and there will be no need for chemical insecticides.
10. Fertilize your garden and potted plants as well as your lawn with these salts. For greener grass use one cup of the salts for every gallon of water. For potted plants sprinkle Epsom salts around the base of the plants once per week. Garden veggies also flourish with this treatment.
Intravenous Medical Uses For Epsom Salts
Some doctors administer Epsom salts intravenously to control rapid heartbeat, relieve migraine headaches, postpone premature birth, reduce swelling in the brain, and treat muscle spasms and seizures caused by magnesium deficiency.
But as you can see, there are many ways to get the health benefits of Epsom salts at home, and the range of these benefits is broad.
Now you understand why I mentioned the popularity of this product. However, I would be remiss if I neglected to mention the few negative effects if taken incorrectly by mouth. Since it has a laxative effect, too high of dose may cause diarrhea, bloating, or upset stomach. To offset this, drink plenty of water. Ingesting a large amount of Epsom salts can cause nausea, headache, lightheadedness, and flushed skin. Therefore take appropriate amounts as recommended by the package directions.
To Sum It Up
There you have it. I hope you have discovered some Epsom salts health benefits or household uses for Epsom salt of which you maybe weren’t aware.
Epsom salt is readily available in health food stores, grocery stores, or online and is relatively inexpensive. It is such a multi-use product you might need to fill a shopping cart with it. Enjoy. I think I might go and soak in a nice lavender Epsom salt bath now to reward myself for completing this article.
Health Products For You has many clean and high-quality products, including this, for just over $2.
***Avoid products with parabens. They are used as preservatives and are endocrine disrupters, which mess with your hormones and can cause cancer, birth defects and other destructive issues.
Health Products For You / About Page
Are Hops Good For Natural Relief of Anxiety and Stress?
How to Overcome Depression and Anxiety and Take Your Life Back | GABA
The Many Health Benefits Bay Leaves-Laurel Leaves Provide